University of Northern Iowa
The University of Northern Iowa's (UNI) Center for Teaching and Learning Math is chiefly responsible for the development of the Making Sense Family Resources. We strive to empower military families and military community support personnel to engage in their children’s learning by providing video and supplementary learning resources in mathematics, literacy, and early learning. To date, 132 videos have been created with the purpose of supporting military families as they help their children make sense of mathematics and literacy.
All of our demonstrate research-based learning strategies and are accompanied by supplementary hands-on materials to further extend student learning.
- Thinking Aloud! Making Sense of Literacy focuses on the important areas of literacy: reading, writing, speaking, viewing, and listening.
- Problem Solved: Making Sense of Mathematics focuses on numbers and operations, geometry, measurement, algebra, and data analysis and probability.
- Making Sense of Early Childhood: Learning Together focuses on every-day activities as opportunities to engage in learning activities with infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO SOAR
UNI assumes responsibility with several roles for the Student Online Achievement Resources project:
- sustaining effective working relationships with the project partners, school districts, and military parents
- developing and producing research-based educational resources to help learners develop deep, conceptual understanding and become fluent in targeted skills in mathematics, literacy, and early learning
- supporting the use of the Making Sense Family Resources website, videos, and supplementary resources
- evaluateing the effectiveness of the Making Sense Family Resources website, videos, and supplementary materials